The Dress that Broke the Internet.
Four things that annoy us, humans, the most –
i) Low WiFi Signal
ii) Low battery
iii) “Loading, please wait”
iv) This dress
White and Gold or Blue and Black? How do you perceive it?
White and Gold or Blue and Black?
THE INTERNET HAS BROKEN! AN APOCAYLPSE LOOKS INEVITABLE WITH HUMANS WAGING WARS AGAINST IN DIFFERENT PARTS OF THE PLANET! THERE SEEM TO BE TWO MINDS OF THOUGHT WITH CONFLICT AT EACH OTHER! THIS HAS RESULTED IN MASSIVE WASTAGE OF HUMAN LIFE! ARE WE LOOKING AT EXTINCTION OF THE HUMAN RACE?
Well, coming back from that piece of exaggeration, if you haven’t been sleeping, the internet has gone bonkers over this one photo.
One group of people see it as White with Gold fringes.
Another group of people see it as Blue with Black fringes.
And the freakish thing here, the two groups of people are never constant with people seeing different colours at different times.
Personal experience and word of mouth has led me to certain OBSERVATIONS over this phenomenon :
- Many people report seeing White and Gold initially which then changes to Black and Blue.
- These factors include – staring at bright light, a computer screen for long, and as the day passes.
- This has NOTHING to do with lighting conditions, display, angle etc.. Different people see different versions in the same lighting conditions at the same angle on the same display.
- Possibly being in a certain lighting condition for too long may have an effect on the colour seen. For example, after waking up or sitting in the dark for long.
- Some people claim this is because different people have different levels of colour-blindness and everybody perceives different colours differently. This may be possible.
If one considers all these factors, certain INFERENCES may be drawn from this :
- Different abilities to view different colours seems a physically possible and physiologically plausible explanation, albeit only a PART of it. There are some people who view the colours, as they are, constantly, irrespective of light conditions. But this DEFINITELY NOT the entire part of it!
- It seems to me, different activation levels of Rods (receptors in the retina responible for dark adaptation) have an effect on the colour perceived. For example, immediately after waking up, the number of rods activated may be way higher than after staring at bright light for a while (and hence the dark adaptation occuring in the eye)
- Finally, Rods are most sensitive to blue and purple colours. Hence, adaptation would ignore or disregard these colours.
- When the brain perceives a lot of shadow (say, in the dark), a high number of rods are activated. This leads to the brain ignoring or disregarding the blue and black colours. Here, one would be able to view the dress as white and gold.
- When a lot of bright light stimulates the brain, the number of rods that are activated are way lower. And so to say, the activity of cones increases and it disregards the golden colour. This colour is then viewed as black (or no light at all).
This is only my theory. Though it seems like a scientific enough explanation, I may be wrong. A physicist would be able to explain the phenomenon slightly better than a doctor.
What are your thoughts on this?
Do not start a war in the comments below, enough blood has already been spilled!